The area has numerous photo opportunities that are described at the bottom of this page and on Friday, February 5, participants enjoyed two photo opportunities at Huntington Beach, CA. Pirates posed among the rocks and cliffs for the afternoon photo shoot and, as the sun set, members moved to the Huntington Pier shoot to photograph surfers walking along the beach and the setting sun and lights on the pier.
• Schedule: Parking at the Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa (usually $10/day) will be free for those attending the event on Saturday, February 6; and included in the reduced rate for those staying overnight at the hotel.
Promenade Ballroom, Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa
3131 S. Bristol Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Maps and Directions:
• Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Floor Plan
• Driving Directions, GPS Location: 33°41'5.31"N 117°53'10.24"W
Arrangements were made with the Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa for a block of rooms, one King or two Queen Beds, usually $179 plus $10 parking, for $129 including parking. There was a special link to receive the reduced rate and the cutoff to receive the rate was January 22, 2016.
On Friday, February 5th from 2:00 pm until after sunset (Sunset: 5:26pm, Twilight: 5:52pm) there was a two-part photo walk-about at Huntington Beach Pier (8.5 miles from Crowne Plaza). The first part was models in Pirate attire and makeup posing among rocks and against a cliff. As it got dark, the second part had participants photographing the pier with the sun setting. Carl Morrison prepared a web site for participants. Members needed to register for one or both parts of the Walk-About when registering for the event in order to receive further information regarding these activities. Those attending needed to pay $1.50 per hour, to a $15.00 daily maximum, for Beach parking. Handicapped parking is free in the metered lots. Registrants signed a PSA Indemnity Release Form before participating in either Walk-About. Participants were asked to submit some of their Walk-About photos to be posted on the Chapter web site following the event. Walk-About #1 Slide Show Gallery: Pirates on Beach. Walk-About #2 Slide Show Gallery: Surfers and Huntington Pier at Sunset.
• San Joaquin Marsh & Wildlife Sanctuary: A marsh encompassing over 300 acres of coastal freshwater wetlands and quality habitat; 5 Riparian View, Irvine, CA; Google Map for Riparian View Entrance off Campus Drive; Map of Sanctuary; (4.6 miles from the Crowne Plaza); Open from dawn until dusk, 7 days a week; Admission and parking are free.
• Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve: A 1,300 acre coastal estuary including open water, mudflats, salt marsh, coastal dunes, seabird nesting islands, and freshwater marsh; Two public parking lots: the north lot on Warner Ave near Pacific Coast Hwy (SE corner of the intersection), the south lot on Pacific Coast Hwy across from the State Beach; (12.5 miles from the Crowne Plaza); Open from dawn until dusk, 7 days a week; 714-846-1114; Admission and parking are free.
•Seal Beach National Wildlife Refuge: 911 acres of remnant saltwater marsh in the Anaheim Bay estuary that serves as a significant stopover and wintering area along the Pacific Flyway for shorebirds, essential habitat for three endangered species: the light-footed clapper rail, the California least tern, and the Belding's savanna sparrow; 800 Seal Beach Blvd., Seal Beach, CA 90740; (14.4 miles from the Crowne Plaza); Open from dawn until dusk, 7 days a week; Refuge is on an active military base and access is restricted; 562-598-1024; Admission and parking are free.
• Aquarium of the Pacific; 100 Aquarium Way, Long Beach, CA 90802; (20.9 miles from the Crowne Plaza); 9:00 am to 6:00 pm daily; 562-590-3100; Admission: $28.95 Adults, $25.95 Seniors; Parking $8 for Aquarium Guests.
2016 Photography Event - Saturday, February 6, 2016
PSA Southern California Chapter
EDUCATING AND CONNECTING PEOPLE THROUGH PHOTOGRAPHY
Older NewsCopyright © - Southern California Roundup Chapter of PSA - All rights reserved Webmaster
All copyrights in all posted images accessible through this website remain vested with the original makers (authors) of the images. All use, copying, reproducing, or republishing in any form without permission of the maker is prohibited.