Copyright © - Southern California Roundup Chapter of PSA - All rights reserved Webmaster
All copyrights in all posted images accessible through this website remain vested with the original makers (authors) of the images. All use, copying, reproducing, or republishing in any form without permission of the maker is prohibited.
Southern California Roundup Chapter of PSA
EDUCATING AND CONNECTING PEOPLE THROUGH PHOTOGRAPHY
Before the area was opened to the public as Descanso Gardens, the land was an oak forest. In the late 1930s and 1940s, when newspaper publisher E. Manchester Boddy was building his estate called Rancho del Descanso, he planted thousands of camellias in the shade of the oaks to provide blossoms for the cut-flower industry. Those camellias, and others added in later years, continue to thrive.
Today Descanso Gardens is home to North America’s largest camellia collection. The Camellia Collection boasts rare and familiar camellias and has been designated an International Camellia Garden of Excellence by the International Camellia Society. Camellias at Descanso bloom from autumn to spring, with the most dazzling floral display in winter, from January through February. Descanso Gardens held their annual "Camellia Festival" (a show of the best camellia flowers of the season) the weekend before and the weekend after the Chapter Photo Event.
• Rebecca Joyce, Samy's Camera
• Susan Cowles, Perfectly Clear
On Friday, February 20th from 2:30 pm until 4:30 pm there was a photo walk-about in Descanso Gardens to "Shoot to Composite." The Walk-About was led by Saturday's speaker, Stephen Burns. Members had to register for the Walk-About when registering for the event in order to receive further information regarding this activity. Those attending needed to pay the Descanso Gardens admission (General $9, Seniors 65 and over $6). Participants were asked to submit some of their Walk-About photos to be posted on the Chapter web site following the event.
1418 Descanso Drive
La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011
Maps and Places to Stay:
• Descanso Gardens
• Driving Directions
• Places to Stay near Descanso Gardens: Glendale & Pasadena
• Descanso Gardens, 1418 Descanso Drive, La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011; 9 am to 5 pm (last entry 4:30 pm); 818-949-4290; Admission $9, Seniors 65+ $6; the American Horticultural Society (AHS) reciprocal gardens program enforces a 90-mile exclusion policy, therefore, if you are attending from beyond 90 miles and belong to an AHS garden, your admission is free; Free Parking.
• Boddy House at Descanso Gardens; 10 am to 4 pm except Monday; free with admission to the Garden.
• Sturt Haaga Gallery at Descanso Gardens; 10 am to 4 pm except Monday; Exhibition: Seeing the Light, January 11 to April 5, 2015; free with admission to the Garden.
• The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens, 1151 Oxford Road, San Marino, CA 91108 (15.3 miles from Descanso Gardens); Friday 12 pm to 4:30 pm, Sunday 10:30 am to 4:30 pm; 626-405-2100; Admission: Friday $20, Seniors 65+ $15, Sunday $23, Seniors 65+ $18; Free Parking.
• Exhibition: Bruce Davidson/Paul Caponigro: Two American Photographers in Britian and Ireland at The Huntington; November 8 to March 9, 2015; free with admission to The Huntington.
• The Arboretum, Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden; 301 North Baldwin Avenue, Arcadia, CA 91007 (17.6 miles from Descanso Gardens); 9 am to 4:30 pm; 626-821-3222; Admission $9, Seniors 62+ $6; Free parking.
2015 Photography Event - Saturday, February 21, 2015